State grain reserves in Kazakhstan have been held since 1920, when the People's Commissariat for Food (Commissariat) was established at the Congress of Soviets of the Kazakh ASSR.
Subsequently Commissariat was repeatedly reformed and renamed. It has been called the Office of the Committee for the Kazakh ASSR reserves, Ministry of Kazakhstan's cereal products, Ministry of reserves. The tasks and functions of the agency changed except for its main function - to ensure the food security of the country.
The new History of state purchases of grain began in 1995.
In order to purchase grain into the state resources and develop new credit and payment mechanisms in the agricultural sector the State Food Contract Corporation was established by the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 21, 1995, No. 309.
In accordance with the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated February 24, 1997, No. 260, in order to improve the system of procurement of grain and products of its processing into the state resources, the State Food Contract Corporation was reorganized into the Food Contract Corporation Joint-Stock Company with one hundred percent state share in its authorized capital.
By the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated December 23, 2006 No. 1247, On measures to implement the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated December 11, 2006 No. 220, the ownership and use of shareholdings of the Food Contract Corporation were transferred to the Holding KazAgro JSC.
On July 5, 2007 Food Contract Corporation Joint - Stock Company was assigned the status of the National Company.